Monday, November 08, 2004

Christian Politics

Christian politics has been getting a beating out here in Pizzaland. So The Minister of Things thought it apropos to remind us that the Southern brand of pro-military, pro-big business, abortion-related-myopia Christian politics isn't the only game in town. I now direct you to the writings of a REAL Minister with some counterpoint. Say hello to the Christian Left (excerpted from http://www.abundancetrek.com/blog):

People on the right will so easily assert that I hate America because I actually believe that much of our foreign policy and much of our domestic policy is wrong. I don't hate America. I don't love America either. I love Americans. I love Republicans and I love Democrats and I love Independents. I love Red Sox fans and Yankee fans. I don't love France, but I love the French people. I don't love Iraq but I love Iraqis.

I have to admit, however, that while I don't hate America, I do not believe in America either. I believe in God. I believe in love. I believe in truth. I have no reason to believe in America, a nation with many good qualities and all too many bad qualities. Some will call me unpatriotic. That's so meaningless to me. My loyalty is to all humanity and not just American humanity or the humans who agree with America's policies.


America is simply a place, a place where many people live. I happen to live here and I like living here. I'm sure I could like living somewhere else, too. Although at this point in my life, I think I'd rather be here. I'm simply saying that being an American is simply not that important to me and I don't think it should be. Humanity is important. Life is important. This planet is important. God is important. Love is important. Truth is important.

I'm glad the Red Sox won the World Series but it really doesn't matter that much even though it seemed like it did a week ago or so.

Maybe this election has cured me of a need to believe in America. Kerry's concession speech revealed that he believes in America. I don't. I hope America begins to correct itself. That would be good for all humanity and for the planet. I even dare to believe that this will happen. Not because I believe in America but because I believe in God, in love, in truth, in the basic goodness of humanity which is made in the image of God.

The Minister of Things offers a hearty amen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter